Sunday 12 May 2013

Shoe Shopping For Dummies

I am a total shoe addict. If I had an unlimited budget (and a mansion just for shoe storage) I could easily compete with Carrie Bradshaw. However, as I’ve grown older (and entered mummy-hood) my choice of shoes have swayed significantly towards more comfortable, sensible shoes as opposed to my dramatic over-the-top, ‘hard to walk in’ collections of the past.

I spent a considerable time this weekend cleaning out my shoe rack, bid a tearful farewell to a few well-worn friends, and put aside a few that I had bought spontaneously and had never gotten around to wearing. I also reviewed the pairs I tend to wear more often than others, and the list included:

-          My FitFlops. They are worth every penny spent, these are ah-mazing on the feet no matter how long your mall stroll ends up to be! They say the only issue with FitFlops is that you won’t want to wear anything else after you’ve owned one. Totally true, but pity we can’t get away with these at work!
 
 

-          My black Mary-Janes. I got these from Naturalizer, so they have their patented comfort padding inside. They also have wedge heels for more support and comfort. These are my go-to shoes for work and when I need to be heeled and also need to carry off the distance.
 
 
 
 
 

-          My beige pumps. I think every girl should own a pair of beige, or skin-coloured pumps. They go with everything and visually add length to your legs. My black pumps look pretty much the same apart from the colour. Black also goes with everything and is perfect for work and other formal settings.
 

-          My kolhapuris. I’ve always wanted a pair, and finally got these on my last trip to India last October. They are made of calf leather, are flat and very comfy. They add an ethnic touch to any attire, and are a great way to show off a summer pedicure.
 
 

-          My turquoise ballerinas. These leather flats from Naturalizer are super comfy and the texture looks like snake skin. They add a funky vibe to an outfit and I love the burst of colour.
 
 

-          My beige wedges. Once again, the beige colour goes with everything and adds the illusion of height. Wedge sandals are great for the summer months and I like to wear these with skirts and maxi dresses to add on to the boho feel.
 
 
 
 
 
 

-          My gladiator sandals. These flats are super comfy and look great for a casual day out.








-          My knee-high black leather boots. I’ve had these for ages, and they were definitely worth the investment. It’s getting too hot here to wear these now, but black boots with a little heel adds oomph to any attire.

When making a list of must-have shoes, keep your lifestyle in mind:
-          Do you live in a colder or warmer climate? (This will help you decide how many boots you need as opposed to sandals).

-          Where do you work? The degree of formality expected in your work attire will determine if you need to invest more in classic pieces or if you have the flexibility to buy more trendy colourful numbers.

-          Your comfort level. If you are not comfortable in heels, save your money (and feet) and look out for wedge heels and flats. Also invest in shoe cushions. There’s a whole array of gel shoe inserts available in the market today. Experiment what feels best for you. Your choice of shoe inserts might also vary per shoe.

-          Your personal style. Are you a classy or funky chic? Do you prefer timeless pieces or enjoy experimenting with trends and colours? Or are you a boho chic like to add a romantic vibe to your attire with ethnic-inspired pieces like kolhapuris? Every girl should have a few classic pieces, but you can let your individuality shine through by choosing from an array of styles out there.

In my opinion, every girl should own:

-          A pair of black pumps.

-          A pair of beige/skin colored pumps

-          A pair of FitFlops

-          A pair of wedge heel sandals

-          A pair of boots (in either black or natural brown leather)

-          Ballerina flats

Once you’ve ticked off the above, you can invest in:

-          A pair of pumps in a trendy color. Red pumps look great with jeans.







-          Gladiator flats or lace-up heels. This style has a gothic vibe to it, and has been around for a while now. It adds a dramatic edge to any outfit.

 
-          Nothing beats leather shoes. They stand the test of time, are easy to maintain with regular polishing, and are comfortable and stylish too. Once you have a few, you can experiment with different textures such as suede and fabric. Suede looks lovely, but can be hard to maintain.

-          Trainers. If you are the sporty type or go for long walks, by all means invest in the right shoe gear. For me, my FitFlops suffice.

-          Kolhapuris or Mojaris. These are very traditional Indian footwear, and add a vibrant ethnic edge to an outfit. Be experimental and don’t limit these to ethic clothes. Wear them with denims, a gypsy skirt, or harem pants.
 

-          Sky-high heels (height depending on your comfort level, and skill of balance!) because there’s no arguing that heels always look hot! Save these for special occasions though. Pay heed to the excerpt below:



-          Big Sis.

No comments:

Post a Comment